OF THE COMMUNITY
" But most important, they formed
the community and came together, not for the sake of life only
but rather for the good life "
The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Community of London &
Vicinity is a non-profit organization without share capital. The
Community is a registered Charity under the Income Tax Act of
It was first organized as a Community on January 12, 1936,
and the first president was Mr. Gus Mandas. It was incorporated
in 1949 by letters patent in the province of Ontario with the
name Hellenic Community of London & Vicinity. A
new constitution was ratified by the General Assembly, on April
On April 17, 1952, the Community Council signed the papers to
purchase the land on 1114 Richmond Street North for $9,000. On
May 26, 1954, a contract for $54,277 was signed to build the
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. Then Community President Mr.
George Kerhoulas, turned the sod on the site to build the new
church on Sunday June 6, 1954 and the ceremony was conducted by
the Community’s first priest, Rev. A. Sarantides.
The first service in the church was a wedding on Sunday
October 10, 1954. It was the marriage of Mr. & Mrs. Angelo
Suntres. Rev. A Sarantides officiated. Actual dedication of the
new Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church took place on October 16,
1955, by His Grace Bishop Ezekial. The same year the community
approved its by-laws, and constitution, under which it was
governed until 1967.
On October 22, 1959, the lot behind the house on 1118
Richmond Street North was bought for parking purposes. The House
itself was not bought until December 4th 1969 for
In September of 1967, the General Assembly of the Community
approved to adopt the Uniform Parish Regulations of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America. In March of
1968 the community adopted new by-laws. On April 9, 1968, it
amended its original letters patent and changed the corporate
name to Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Community of London &
On June 16, 1975 the Community bought the Glendale Sports
Center, as it was then known, on Southdale Road for $150,000.
President at the time was Mr. Anthony Demakos. This property
then became the Hellenic Community Center. On
March 28, 1978, under the Presidency of Mr. George Anas, a one
acre property and the house (since demolished) at the front of
the Hellenic Community Center was purchased for $39,000.
This was made possible with the financial assistance of the
local chapter of AHEPA.
With the purchase of this additional property, the Hellenic
Community Center property was squared off, with a frontage of
over 300 feet and a total area of approximately twelve acres.
On February 24, 1975, under the presidency of Mr. Gary
Kerhoulas, the official sod turning ceremony took place to build
a new Community Center for a cost of approximately one million
dollars. This new addition when attached to the old community
center would more than triple its size. The official dedication
took place on September 7, 1975, with His Grace Bishop Sotirios
and Rev Stathis Kontorravdis officiating.
The Hellenic Community Center during 1997 and 1998, had yet
another major expansion, of about one half million dollars with
the addition of the East Room, and major renovations to the
The new millenium, the year 2000 came, and history is made in
our Community. The construction in our Southdale Property, of a
New Byzantine Architecture style Church, has commenced, a dream
of many years, will soon be fulfilled.
A new History is in the making.